Sunday, August 9, 2009

Reunion Island


I thought I'd give a bunch of updates, etc about my vacation.......yeah, I obviously didn't. So, I'll give a more condensed overview..........

2nd day in Reunion, I decided to go to Salazie to hike around , etc. Went on a little hike to Le Bassin Bleu....not sure if I found it....if I did find it, its the tiny little pool in the pic above. Yeah, not worth the hike. Ok...I guess the scenary, etc is pretty cool. There are soooo many hikes to do. I got a little lost on the way back to my car and had to walk an extra kilometer or so.....oh well.

Next day I went moutain biking on Le Maido. It's a pretty cool moutain, which overlooks the Circuit de Mafate, which is an area that you can only hike into, no roads. The overlook is awesome. I went mountain biking in a group...kind of slow. Especially when I was stuck behind the fat french guy. I killed them all on the technical downhill parts. One time we were descending a double-track trail and the guy in front of me crashed and broke his wrist. It was obviously broken, so that kind of put a damper on things.

The rest of the trail was fun and fast at times. My butt was super sore at the end of the day. Then I visited an aquarium and a beach. The beaches in Reunion aren't amazing, but they are fine.

3rd day was spent canyoning near Cilaos on a route called Fleurs Jaunes (Yellow Flowers). I loved it and want to do some more. The French kids that were part of my group were all inexperienced and kind of slow. Since I climb a lot, it was no big deal to me and I flew down.....need to go back and canyon more.

4th day was spent on the volcano. Pretty awesome. Felt like I was on Mars........I guess they offer helicopter flights to see the active lava, etc. I hiked around the volcano some.....then I took off to Takamaka which is a valley full of waterfalls.......it was great. Loved it.

My last destination was Hell-bourg in the Circuit de Salazie. Scenary was stunning as usual. I went on a long hike to the top of a moutain near my auberge. When I got to the top, I decided to continue on to a viewpoint of le trou de fer It was amazing. I took some pics really quickly before the clouds moved in. My new goal is to canyon le trou de fer.......it would be stunning and an insane adventure.

Then I went to airport and flew to Tana in Madagascar.

Overall........Reunion Island is amazingly great. Kind of like Hawaii and France. I highly, highly recommend a visit. So awesome.

Madagascar adventures next.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Judd - I am in FD from 20/8/09 if your still there and fancy a beer?

    ReplyDelete