Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Work

So, I guess I better post a little about what I do for work and maybe a little about the operation here.

So, I worked for Kennecott Utah Copper near Salt Lake City, as a health and safety advisor. Due to my french language skills and some of the work I did during the implementation of the management system we have now, I was asked to come to QMM (QIT Madagascar Minerals). Side Note: QIT is Quebec Iron Titanium based in Sorel-Tracy, Quebec, about an hour outside of Montreal. All of these business units are part of a larger company called Rio Tinto........or maybe something else in the future once China is done purchasing the rest of the company. Hope no corporate types read this.........

The purpose of my assignment is aide with the implementation of the corporate mandated HSEQ MS or health, safety, environmental, quality management system. The obvious goal of the HSEQ MS is to improve the HSEQ performance of the business.

It appears from the few days that I've been here that not much is currently in place....or at least I haven't been shown it yet. So, that means there's a ton of work to do. While at the same time, QMM is in the process of finishing construction at the site and is beginning commissioning of everything. So, that means that everyone is super busy and the last thing they will want to do is this. However, without their help, the implementation would only be on paper and not actually produce many desired results.

The HSEQ MS is similiar to ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 or OHSAS 18001 if that means anything to you.

QMM mines a mineral called ilmenite which is a combination of iron and titanium. The product is then shipped to Quebec to be further processed.

Ok, that's all I have for now and I don't have any pics of the mine, etc yet. Feel free to ask questions in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Work is such a relative term and you use it quite freely for your employment history. Aren't you glad you sent me your blog link? I'm going to keep tabs on you... because I DO care! And you may really want to consider how you comment about big brother (RT).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhh man......it was a mistake to invite you. Dang.

    ReplyDelete