Friday, April 10, 2009

Les Malagaches



One thing I've noticed about the locals (besides the fact that they are African) is how short they tend to be. My mom and sisters and even grandma would feel right at home here. There are just midgets all around. Especially the women.....so tiny.

Next thing: a lot of the natives have NOTHING. The other day I saw a guy and his son walking in just their underwear. No shoes, no shirt, no shoes, nothing at all. Actually, I think they might have had a hatchet or something to cut wood with.

The people here walk everywhere.......and I mean they could live 10+ miles away from town and they will walk (barefoot) into town to sell fruit or whatever. Its insane. It also makes driving at night an adventure. Cause there are no lights.....and they have dark skin and there are no sidewalks, etc.

Also, they carry everything on their head and I mean everything....long pieces of wood that they cut with a hatchet, fruit, laundry, water. They have an amazing balancing ability. I saw one lady, with a baby on her back, carrying wood on her head, while walking barefoot.

I don't have any pics of this stuff yet...so I put a pic of my tour group to Mt Jmo.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What beautiful children. They look so sweet and innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids are so cute! I just want to hug them!! Thanks for calling us midgets...

    ReplyDelete