Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lavanono


We didn't have work on Monday the 1st, so I went with some co-workers on a great trip. The village is called lavanono . In Malgache you actually don't pronounce the last letter of nearly every word. It's a tiny little village in the far southern desert of Madagascar. The trip takes about 7 hours on super, super rough roads. Really, it should only take about 3 hours or less because its only 250 kilometers away. However, the roads suck the entire trip.

However, it was worth it! The desert ends with some beautiful beaches....as usual. We stayed in some eco-friendly bungalows run by a french guy (Gigi). On Friday, we left after work and drove to a town called Tsiohmbe or however its spelled. We spent the night there and had tortoise for dinner......kind of interesting and tasted decent. I also eventually had octopus at Lavanono Be.

Saturday, we finished the remaining two hours. So, glad to be out of Sharky!!! The roads in southern madagascar are so rough and not maintained at all.

On, Saturday we went to the beach and I did some bodysurfing. It was really fun.

Sunday we went to the southern most point in Madagascar (Cap Sainte Marie). We also visited the grotto of Cap Sainte Marie. It was pretty cool. Kind of sandstone type area with some cool caves, etc. Also, we bought some live chickens at the market and had some people at the Cap Sainte Marie Reserve cook them for us, while we explored the reserve. Saw tons of tortoises.

I've got a million pics.......but no way to share them all. The pic is from my bungalow overlooking the ocean.

So, that's why I didn't blog for a while. I hope to surf this weekend, so maybe I'll blog about that.

2 comments:

  1. Fun adventures! I want some pics of these roads and of course Large Turtles! Keep having fun! What's your address and I'll sent you some b-ball shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Studly:
    I have to say I'm proud of you for keeping up with your blog. I look forward to reading about your adventures and I have been sharing with the lab crew. Watch for 'the following sea'and try to stay out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete